Dive into our ‘What do I want in life’ guide: a blend of introspective steps, self-reflection and the ULTIMATE quiz to find your passion and purpose.
No matter the age, we are all navigating life’s grandest question, “What do I want in life?” While some of us are steadfast in our aspirations, others fare more confused. But don’t let those confident ones fool you. At some point, all of us have wondered this.
Between career choices, family pressures, societal expectations, and the echoing uncertainty of self-worth, it’s all too easy to feel that your life’s messed up. However, I’m here to help you solve the complexity of life. Or at least begin to.
So forget those Buzzfeed quizzes because today, we’re taking a different approach. Understanding your true purpose.
How to Decide What You Want in Life
Understanding what you truly want – the real clarity often comes from simply living, learning, and occasionally, making mistakes.. Psychology tells us that self-awareness is the key. Find your passion is uncovering what makes you happy, what ignites that fire within, and what leaves you feeling fulfilled. Think of this as finding your purpose in life test.
What You Want in Life: The 7 Step Approach
Wondering, “What do I really want in life?” Here are 7 steps to find out, or at least get some idea:
- Self-Reflection: Set aside quiet moments to ponder on what genuinely engrosses you, what stirs your emotions, and what aligns with your values.
- Experience Variety: Engage in diverse experiences, even if they’re outside your comfort zone. New experiences can shed light on hidden passions.
- Visualize Your Future: Try to see yourself 5 or 10 years from now. What do you feel you’d be doing that could make you happy and proud?
- Document Your Journey: Maintain a journal of moments when you felt truly alive or utterly despondent. Patterns in these entries can be revelatory.
- Set Short-term Goals: Break down larger aspirations into manageable chunks. These smaller steps can illuminate whether you’re on a path that resonates with you.
- Revisit and Re-evaluate: Every few months, reassess your goals, feelings, and experiences to ensure you’re still aligned with your evolving desires.
- Think What You DON’T want: One of the ways is choice by elimination. Best think of what makes you feel bad about yourself, your career choice, your life or family expectations.
How to Find Your Purpose in Life
Here are 7 questions to ask yourself:
- What activities make you lose track of time? This can offer a window into what genuinely engrosses you.
- Which causes or global issues resonate deeply with you? Sometimes, our purpose is tied to larger, universal challenges.
- If money wasn’t a factor, what would you be doing? This allows you to ponder without the chains of practicality.
- What do friends and family say you’re exceptional at? Often, those close to us can see what we overlook.
- What challenges or obstacles have you overcome? Your true calling is all about our personal way of doing things. Past battles can shape future passions.
- What do you think would make your life complete? Yes, money and respect are something everyone wants. But is there something more to life for you that would make you feel fulfilled?
- What was your proudest moment? Sometimes, even our friends and family don’t get us. What is it that you’ve done so far that made you truly respect yourself?
What Do I Want in Life Quiz
Want a more fun way of doing self-refection? My quiz will help you find your true passion and help you understand what you really want to do in life.
Share the quiz to show your results !
Subscribe to see your results
Ignore & go to results
While our “What Do I Want in Life Quiz” is free and designed to help you find your way forward, remember that life isn’t defined by a single answer or a fleeting phase. Instead, life is an evolving tapestry of experiences, decisions, and discoveries. What you want in life can change over time. It’s important to both question and accept your desires and choices.
So, I hope our magazine provides a nudge, a semblance of direction, as you navigate your unique path. Until next time, keep questioning, keep exploring.
Shilpa Ahuja is the editor of Career Nuts. She has a Masters in Design Studies (MDesS) degree from Harvard University Graduate School of Design, class of 2011.
Shilpa is an entrepreneur and founder of Shilpa Ahuja Digital Media, an online publishing company that includes HowtoGetinto-Harvard.com, a Harvard admissions guide, ShilpaAhuja.com, one of India’s most-read digital fashion magazine, OpiniOwn.com, a social publication and Decorisk.com, a digital interior décor magazine. She is also the creator of Audrey O., a comic series that represents the lifestyle of millennial women.
She also has a bachelor’s degree in architecture from Chandigarh College of Architecture (B.Arch), class of 2007. She has worked in interior project management for The Park hotels and in graphic design and education technologies for Harvard Law School.
Originally from Chandigarh, Shilpa enjoys art, creative writing, fashion and travel. Her art has been exhibited at Harvard Graduate School of Design and the Aroma Hotel, Chandigarh. Her work has been published in University of Fashion blog, Jet Airways magazine, Chandigarh Times and Indian Design & Interiors magazine. She is also the author of the book “Designing a Chinese Cultural Center in India”.